Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The loneliness of long term illness









All humans are selfish. I don't say this to offend, I say this as a fact. We all are by sinful nature. I have found this to be one of the largest issues when dealing with health challenges. I have gotten a ton of support directly after each "near death" experience I have had and for that I am thankful but people it does not end there. When the initial crisis hits often times it is overwhelming and it takes awhile to process. For me anyway this is the time when I need prayer more than physical support. After the shock fades away for me I have seen that it also fades away for those that support me. I am overwhelmed with prayers and thoughts and well wishes at first but shortly after most of that support is gone. The "i'm praying for you" support does exist on occasion shortly there after but in time that will also stop.

As stated I am thankful for the initial support but I have to say that is not when I need it the most. As the journey goes on the more lonely I feel. It is almost like you fell off the face of the earth. The longer the trial of life goes the more support one should get and sadly it goes the opposite. The type of support needed changes as well to more physical support; and by that I mean visitors and human contact. Although I get this from everyone I hold my fellow christians to a higher standard and it has been shown that the support from them is no different than that of a non believer. I am going to be brutally honest. Just because you tell someone you are praying for them does not mean that your Christian duty is done. In fact, it has just begun. It saddens me that I have a whole body of Christ and yet feel so alone.

 The middle of a trial is often times the hardest part and the part where you need people to come alongside of you and show the love of Christ. I have been working on this post for several days because I had to take my time to determine what to say. Putting this out there has not been any easy thing for me because I hate confronting issues. I challenge you to take the time to process in your mind what makes you stop supporting those around you. Is it family? friends? work? school? After sitting in my house for months with barely any human contact I have decided to reach out and bring this to everyone's attention. Prayer is awesome but it should not end at that. I'm not saying I don't struggle with this at all because I do. Think of those around you that are facing a long battle and take some time out of your life to sit with or call them; show them that you care and cherish them. saying you are praying for someone is the easy way out. Please make a commitment not to take the easy way that does not really require you to waste your very precious time and step up and come up with time to help those in need.

I say this with love and I hope this will settle in your heart and drive you to think in a different way that is not all about you and how inconvenient visiting sick people makes you feel. Look beyond your box you created and you just might be able to witness to someone by showing them God's love in person.

9 comments:

  1. The picture you have for this is perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Google images is my friend. Well usually sometimes I see things I wish I could undo lol Like when it randomly throws in some creepy weird photo that has nothing to do with what you searched for. yeah that.

      Delete
  2. Isaiah 41:10

    So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John 16:33b

    In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Thessalonians 3:16

    Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hebrews 12:7-11

    Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?...No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hebrews 12:18-24

    You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm; to a trumpet blast or to such a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them, because they could not bear what was commanded: “If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned to death.”The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, “I am trembling with fear.”

    But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Kitty stole all the good ones. But my favorite when i am hurting most is II Cor. 4:16-18. So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light and momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. "

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for posting these like I asked you never know when someone else will need to read it too! I know I am not alone on this journey but the reason for this post came down to the fact that knowledge isn't everything and in person physical support sometimes means more than words.

    ReplyDelete